Wednesday, April 18, 2012

College launches 'Hookups' website.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/...okups-website/


Quote:




The University of Chicago has long been known for Nobel Prizes, but if the organizers of a new website have their way, the school will soon elevate its sexual reputation. As CBS 2’s Mike Puccinelli reports, a group of University of Chicago students have created a website called UChicagoHookups.com.

The site offers students a chance to spice things up on campus by helping them hook up with other students for casual sexual encounters.




What do you think about it? On the one hand, I'm sure if I were a college student I'd think it was great. On the other hand, I'm not a college student, so all I can see is the parental view anymore; a good way to pick up STD's and trivialize sex.|||A bad idea in my honest opinion.

I agree with you MV on STDs and the trivialization of sex. I'll also add the increased opportunity for acts of sexual violence.

On a less serious note; this site might advert attention from studies, tsk tsk; and the earning of those Noble Peace prizes.|||I think who cares? It's consenting adults meeting with other consenting adults. It just streamlines the bar process. I can understand parents not liking it, but those college students aren't little kids anymore. They have the right to consent, or not, to things regardless of what their parents want.

As to trivializing sex, I can't help but think nothing could be better for America. The sheer amount of sexual scandal we have is absurd, and it stems directly from thinking that sex is some supremely important act.|||Quote:






View Post

I think who cares? It's consenting adults meeting with other consenting adults. It just streamlines the bar process. I can understand parents not liking it, but those college students aren't little kids anymore. They have the right to consent, or not, to things regardless of what their parents want.

As to trivializing sex, I can't help but think nothing could be better for America. The sheer amount of sexual scandal we have is absurd, and it stems directly from thinking that sex is some supremely important act.




Can't particularly disagree with your first paragraph. I can only hope, though, that on the website there is some emphasis on the use of condoms and maybe some obvious health warnings. Yes, college students are consenting adults; they are also very young consenting adults frequently under the influence of mind-altering substances that can cause some seriously careless behavior. As for what parents want...well, that has to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Frequently it is parents who are footing a very large bill that they typically hope pays off with more than herpes, AIDS or pregnancy.

As for your second paragraph...sex can be a supremely important act between the right couple, but it is always sex, meaning it's usually at least moderately pleasurable if consensual. I do agree though, that there are long-outdated puritanical values in this country that need to be eradicated; we are sexual animals and outside of taking the obvious precautions, there is nothing to be gained by withholding from some very inexpensive entertainment.|||While I think I agree that people need to stop being so scandalized by sex, I think that's probably going to be down to better education and attitudes towards sex, rather than people have wild hookups.

As for the website... well, I guess students sure do need help making bad decisions! Hey at least they would save money by cutting out the bar/club/whathaveyou part of the deal.

Besides, I thought that's what Facebook et al was for.|||Quote:






View Post

I do agree though, that there are long-outdated puritanical values in this country that need to be eradicated.




Eh, to each their own.

...

What goes on campus, is still on campus; have to see how the University responds. Obviously sex is none of the Universities business among the students, but if website (which has identified itself with the University) ever lead to abusive hook-ups, the University would have to do something about it.


Quote:






View Post

Hey at least they would save money by cutting out the bar/club/whathaveyou part of the deal.




QQ, I loved the clubs.|||Quote:






View Post

As for what parents want...well, that has to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Frequently it is parents who are footing a very large bill that they typically hope pays off with more than herpes, AIDS or pregnancy.




Don't get me wrong, I have a great appreciation for the place the parents are. The financial dependency though can't be grounds for coercing the consent of the offspring.


Quote:




As for your second paragraph...sex can be a supremely important act between the right couple, but it is always sex, meaning it's usually at least moderately pleasurable if consensual. I do agree though, that there are long-outdated puritanical values in this country that need to be eradicated; we are sexual animals and outside of taking the obvious precautions, there is nothing to be gained by withholding from some very inexpensive entertainment.




My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that sex can never be important. My intention was merely to point out that casual sex, by definition, isn't.

************************************************** *******


Quote:








While I think I agree that people need to stop being so scandalized by sex, I think that's probably going to be down to better education and attitudes towards sex, rather than people have wild hookups.




I must confess to some curiosity at how you think we'll develop better attitudes without actually engaging the practice that creates them.|||Quote:






View Post

Eh, to each their own.





You don't think so? From what I have seen, keeping sex a 'secret' and hidden the way this country has in the past, has done way more harm than good. Among other things, forbidden fruit is always more attractive, and keeping things secretive meant nothing more than a lack of proper education. Not to mention the unbearable scandal attached to a purely biological response, typically directed at 'loose' women while conveniently overlooking the equal part men played.|||Quote:






View Post

You don't think so? From what I have seen, keeping sex a 'secret' and hidden the way this country has in the past, has done way more harm than good.




I would say I have Puritan views, but never was taught sex either at home or from Church as being a "hidden" experience. Some people/organizations may have, not an experience I relate to though.


Quote:






View Post

Among other things, forbidden fruit is always more attractive,[...]




All depends on how one conducts themselves, they can choose it or ignore it; simple as that. Yes the difference you are talking about is being exposed to it a lot more (early?) than what may be had under a "puritan stance". I didn't really learn the details until around 5th grade myself (and my parents were sure to talk to me about it before I heard it from school; imo what parents should do). Learning of it at the 5th grade hasn't warped my understanding of sex as far as I can tell... *pinches self to check if there is something wrong*...


Quote:






View Post

[...] and keeping things secretive meant nothing more than a lack of proper education.




Interpretation imo. Again "secretive"; yes there were rules for sex, but sex was never seen as something feared/gross/taboo in general; it was just understood that there were rules for it. I personally do not see anything wrong in not educating children about sex until before puberty; of course you help them identify sexual orientation and all that stuff early on, talking about the details here.


Quote:






View Post

Not to mention the unbearable scandal attached to a purely biological response, typically directed at 'loose' women while conveniently overlooking the equal part men played.




It is an awful product of past/continuing times for sure, but again not something that I saw or experienced in my sources of education while growing up.


Quote:






View Post

Me too, but it was for the social aspect. A lot of people go just to try and pick up, and I guess for them it would be convenient to cut out the middle man.




Lol, social aspect for me as well.|||Quote:






View Post

I must confess to some curiosity at how you think we'll develop better attitudes without actually engaging the practice that creates them.




I think there's a big difference between sex for fun, and sex because someone is simply desperate. Buuuut then in my head, I imagined all kinds of creepy creeps using the website. Sort of like the Craigslist personals section.

In my experience, there's a lot of younger people who engage in casual sex for the wrong reasons, generally not for fun. Such reasons may include an attempt at raising a low self esteem, some misguided belief that it will affirm them as a person, and doing it just because everyone else is. Even if they aren't comfortable with it.

If people wanna have random (presumably safe) sex for fun, I think it's fine.

Better attitudes would start with education early on, alongside the sex-ed talk most teenagers get (well, maybe a little later, depending on laws of the area I guess). I'd like to think that if alongside being given information about condoms and the horrors of STDS, they also got education regarding social issues, dealing with peer pressure, making decisions regarding partners, attitudes etc. But I assume that is a side of the issue that never really gets discussed and that's what I mean by education. Also, fostering a positive attitude towards sexuality ought to lead to more fun sexual experiences. Hopefully, it would also lead to the act being seen as a natural and positive in itself.

But now I am rambling with my idealist hippie ****. Oops.


Quote:






View Post



QQ, I loved the clubs.




Me too, but it was for the social aspect. A lot of people go just to try and pick up, and I guess for them it would be convenient to cut out the middle man.

No comments:

Post a Comment