Monday, April 16, 2012

Move over, iPhone

From the Daily Fail:


Quote:








Flexible future: Forget the iPhone, here's the smartphone made out of 'paper' that will shape with your pocket






Potential costs notwithstanding, would you buy one?|||1) I'll wait for the 2nd generation at least, and to hear the jokes about all the problems people have with it.

2) I don't trust "paper" to be resistant, I'd be afraid to break it.

3) Phones are small enough, I don't need a paper thin one.

So yeah, probably not... at least not until I'm no longer given a choice. Give me a phone watch already. That'd be awesome, especially with the bluetooth earpieces we already have.|||It looks like a printed-out screen shot of an aged Palm Pilot OS.

The technology looks interesting, though what it'll really need to boot the iPhone is a "cool" factor. Maybe if it comes in white?

I actually like Apple's stuff and think they've done good things for touch accessibility. If only they were cheaper...|||I'll agree that the technology is interesting, but using 'bend gestures' when I could easily just touch a screen? And it looks rather big.|||Shiny tech, I'd get one and mostly use it as notepad and organiser. But the current version still looks too big and solid, gief infinitely reusable paper with scroll and zoom funtions.

Also bending sucks, touch sensitivity is better.|||Wow, bend gestures sound terrible. Even worse than dirty fingerprints on the display screen.

Though the armband sounds interesting... Is this the beginning of the future?

|||Quote:






View Post

It looks like a printed-out screen shot of an aged Palm Pilot OS.




I'd guess it's running Android. It doesn't say it in the article, but the notification bar is the same as older Android versions, and further on in the video you can see what appears to be the AOSP stock homescreen.

The bend gestures seem like they'd be a pain in the *** to use long-term. I'll stick with my Desire and Cyanogenmod with Gingerbread 2.3.4.|||Since this seems somewhat on-topic... I'm thinking of upgrading from my slowly dying Palm Zire 31. Yes, I think it's the first model to come with a color screen. That old. But hey, look at the B&W new tech we're maybe soon getting lol

Anyway, my options are either (a) get a smartphone, which I'd rather have separate devices, or (b) get an iPod touch or some such device. I want wifi internet, ability to sync with my computer(s) for agenda & contacts, music, decent games, and good battery life. Cheap access to developer tools is a bonus.

Advice?|||I personally hated gestures, when I tried using them in "Black & White" (which I found uninspiring anyway). Furthermore, I'd be concerned about what I believe is properly termed "friability", as in the more you flex the thing the more the printed circuits will crumble.

What I <loved> the concept of was flexible solar panels produced for the Special Forces - basically it's a plastic roll-up the size of a map.|||Quote:






View Post

Since this seems somewhat on-topic... I'm thinking of upgrading from my slowly dying Palm Zire 31. Yes, I think it's the first model to come with a color screen. That old. But hey, look at the B&W new tech we're maybe soon getting lol




I have one of those! (that I never use...)

If you want to keep your device separate from your phone, like I do, then you could do a lot worse than the iPod Touch. Wait for the next update, though, which is likely due in September. (or you could buy my 3rd gen for cheaper... heh)

No comments:

Post a Comment