Monday, April 16, 2012

Quick question on... sports, I guess.

How would you call this in English?



The Dutch word for it is carbidschieten. Essentially, you shoot footballs from a milkcan.|||Shooting footballs out of milk cans, I'd guess. This looks rather Dutch in itself.|||I was thinking it's a lot like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_gun

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_gun

but then came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbide


Quote:




It is still used in the Netherlands for a traditional custom called Carbidschieten (Shooting Carbide). To create an explosion, carbide and water are put in a milk churn with a lid. Ignition is usually done with a torch. Some villages in the Netherlands fire multiple milk churns in a row as a New Year's Eve tradition.[13] The tradition comes from an old pagan religious practice intended to chase off spirits.[citation needed]




Seeing how the name seems to be derived of the chemical process, Carbide Shooting/Shooting Carbide seems accurate enough.|||I wouldn't call it a "sport". It's a fun activity for silly boys who like to blow their hands off.

We did it in our youth, but I think it is not legal outside of shooting clubs anymore (at least here in Germany)|||We, uh... We don't do that here... We're probably not smart enough as a nation to figure out how, so we just light fireworks and throw them at each other.|||I'd call it 1/3 of redneck 4th of july, just toss in some bottle rockets

and sparklers...and a bunch of alcohol... :P|||I'd consider it a sport if it involved holding and aiming the thing... like archery or shooting. I mean, those at least involve body control to increase your accuracy.

Or have a guy try to catch the footballs.

Shooting a cannon isn't a sport.|||I'd just call it bizarre.|||Insane? I'm going with insane.|||And then some people wonder who'd use flintlocks when there are gatling guns around. These guys are re-inventing cannons.

No comments:

Post a Comment