Saturday, April 14, 2012

buying used games is cool

[:1]Capcom doesn't think so

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php|||I read of another company doing something to stop resale. Anyone remember what and who it was?|||I guess I just wouldn't buy such games in the first place. Some games you don't want to keep when you're done, you just want to trade them in for something else. If I can't trade it in/resell it, then I'm not going to want it hanging around being useless either.|||As long as I get access to triple-A games cheap, I don't care. I did buy some good unused games at 5-10$ from bargain bin and from Steam.

Now, what capcom did was to allow only one save, and that's terrible even for those who paid full price to get the game new at release. This, I do NOT agree with. (assuming that in doing so, it limits replay value and/or multiple players playing the game in parallel)

-----

pro-hint: can't resale GW either. You also can't reset the account. But you can make multiple chars and restart a char if you want to.|||Quote:






View Post

I read of another company doing something to stop resale. Anyone remember what and who it was?




Sony.

12345|||Quote:






View Post

I read of another company doing something to stop resale. Anyone remember what and who it was?




EA tried to with it's "5 installs" nonsense with Spore. They deserved every bit of the backlash they got for it, too.

Basically all Capcom has done is make a game that's only good for one play through, not only hurting used sales but also rentals, and creating a whole new reason to just pirate a copy.|||Was that eventually revoked?

What bugs me is when anti-piracy anti-resale etc puts serious limitations on actual paying users. I complain every time I see the anti-piracy warning on movies I bought, especially because I know full well that this is usually removed from pirated versions anyway. So I as a paying customer am the only one who has to suffer throught it.

As if pirates don't know it's illegal.

That, and the copy protection that didn't let me copy my paid CD music on my mp3 player, which already contained some pirated material from the same artist (piracy is how I got to know him in the first place, and hence led me to buy said CDs). Oh the irony.|||Quote:






View Post

Was that eventually revoked?




Eventually, yes. But between that, the SecuRom malware that they used for DRM, and the summary deletion and banning of anyone who had the nerve to complain about it on the EA forums, it was enough to put me off buying any more of their games, no matter how tempting.


Quote:






View Post

What bugs me is when anti-piracy anti-resale etc puts serious limitations on actual paying users. I complain every time I see the anti-piracy warning on movies I bought, especially because I know full well that this is usually removed from pirated versions anyway. So I as a paying customer am the only one who has to suffer throught it.

As if pirates don't know it's illegal.

That, and the copy protection that didn't let me copy my paid CD music on my mp3 player, which already contained some pirated material from the same artist (piracy is how I got to know him in the first place, and hence led me to buy said CDs). Oh the irony.




DRM doesn't even slow the pirates down. I don't know why anyone bothers anymore.|||I realized how useless copy protection was when a pirated version of Diablo 2 became available on the web ONE WEEK PRIOR TO RELEASE. Yeah, nice job guys. Now preordering doesn't even guarantee that you'll be amongst the first ones to play it.

Admittedly, having to sign up for impulse and whatever and having to store the passwords is really annoying, especially needing an internet connection to play single-player games. I mean, what better time to play single-player games then when your internet connection is down?

I consider all these things as annoyances that count against a given game, but not enough to boycott a company. But it does put some amount of pressure on my buying decisions. Just like I passed many *many* games because they were sub-based.|||This is the dumbest anti-piracy/resale method I've ever heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment