Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Research Survey on Gender Swapping Online

Hello. I'm running this survey as part of a university project into gender swapping in online environments. These surveys can be taken by anyone who had ever played a character of the opposite gender inside an online game, second life, or any similar kind of virtual environment.

It is important to note that there are two different surveys, one for males playing females, and the other for females playing males.They both contain the same questions. Please only take the survey that applies to you.

Most of the questions are multiple choice, but there are several boxes where you may add comments related to certain questions if you wish.

No personal information shall be obtained for this survey.



Males playing female characters:

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...6of9gu7c902279



Females playing male characters:

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...8gdl0ks8902322



I hope that you will take just a brief moment to help me in my project, and I will be grateful to everyone who takes part.

I would also like people to point out if there are any errors when trying to take part in either survey.|||Wha? No non-gender-swapping option?

I guess Diablo 2 counts.|||What if I swing both ways?

Male characters at one time, females another?



This came out considerably more wrong than I intended, and I intended it pretty wrong...|||Is this intended to pertain to online gaming? Or to gender-swapping role-playing in general; i.e., entering chat rooms under the pretense of belonging to the opposite sex, etc. I figured at first it was for gaming, but all it really says is 'gender swapping online'.

While I have occasionally created/played female characters in a game (and let's face it, who would rather play Larry Croft than Lara Croft?), I wouldn't even consider pretending to be a female in, say, a forum or chat room. That's a whole different psychological ball game.

In other words, I can't really take this survey, because it seems to be assuming I go around online pretending to be a woman.|||Quote:




In other words, I can't really take this survey, because it seems to be assuming I go around online pretending to be a woman.




There are a few questions related to how behave while playing as the opposite gender (asking whether you try to act like the opposite gender), but you can answer no to those.

The survey is concerned with gender swapping in virtual environments or games, (onlines games or Second life etc).

Even if you don't actually go around pretending to be the opposite, I still think you could answer the survey.|||Wish I could help, but I only make characters with the same parts I have. =D|||Done.

Next they should make a survey about playing other races. Somehow nobody makes a big deal of people like me who likes to play Sylvari or Charr. In WoW, most of my characters were horde (evil-ish / monster-ish).|||No Kathoey or other third gender options?

Lowers potential for accuracy without sampling the whole chance of the datasets available.

-Art|||Depends on the question. If all they want to know is why do people play transgender, then I guess it works. No control group though.

No comments:

Post a Comment