Saturday, April 14, 2012

Windows 8 may allow you to play 360 games

[:1]http://www.metrowny.com/news-enterta...ed_on_PCs.html

(May be a little slow because it was floating around Reddit, which tends to crash sites.)

The article says the next edition of Windows WILL allow you to play 360 games on your PC, but if you read the article, pretty early on, this bit is mentioned:

"Microsoft has not made an official statement about the feature yet."

I am interested to see how this takes form. There are quite a few games I have missed out on because I do not own an Xbox. However, as I've said in the past, my gaming (and the money I'm willing to invest in gaming) is at an all-time low.|||As skeptical as I am, I wonder how that'd work with disc-based games if and when the new DVDs come into full swing (assuming they haven't already of course... I don't know). |||That would make sense with how they've given up on GFWL.

On one hand, having access to 360-exclusives would be nice. On the other hand, it would likely widen the gap between "true" PC games and ports, etc.|||Hmm, could this mean that Microsoft is one step closer to taking over the (gaming) world?!

Game companies were always refusing to develop games for the computer, but now the games that are available on the XBox 360, which companies don't refuse to develop games for, could be used on the computer!

On the other hand, this isn't official info, and it could just mean that this is just a different option than XBox Live (I believe that's what it is called) for those wanting to buy games or something. I also don't know if you'll be able to play the games after unsubbing to this subscription based service. I will be keeping an eye on this topic though, as it could be big news in the gaming industry (and I might sub if the price is right, and if it turns out we actually will be able to play 360 games on our pc).|||So, any good xbox exclusives out there that would make this feature interesting? Ports tend to suck but there are some PS3 games I would play a PC port of, don't know any for xbox though.|||PC + Xbox controller = PC360?|||Too little too late.|||I guess this goes along with the controllers & Kinect SDK being available on Windows. Even with access to exclusives like Gears, etc, I wouldn't play FPS games on a controller. And while we're talking about exclusives, I'm pretty sure the PS3 has more in terms of what I can't already play on the PC. I suppose access to RDR is a positive no matter how you look at it.

Even with those nitpicks/preferences mentioned, I guess this still falls into the "good" category.|||To start off, not having to buy a console to get more choices of games is good. Maybe we can start having more games that work across PC & consoles without having to wait 10+ years.

I do hope that the games that work via emulation doesn't need you to run it with the controllers... that it lets you use keyboard & mouse. I mean, it would be fairly easy to setup the keyboard & mouse to emulate the controller, rather than require each game to support it independently.|||Quote:






View Post

To start off, not having to buy a console to get more choices of games is good. Maybe we can start having more games that work across PC & consoles without having to wait 10+ years.

I do hope that the games that work via emulation doesn't need you to run it with the controllers... that it lets you use keyboard & mouse. I mean, it would be fairly easy to setup the keyboard & mouse to emulate the controller, rather than require each game to support it independently.




Yup, this.

I wanted to play FFXIII, for example, but couldn't.

Though, I wonder what this will do to game prices: PC games tend to be $40-$50 these days, compared to $50-$60 for console.

No comments:

Post a Comment