Thursday, April 19, 2012

Australia getting flooded

Dunno if anyone knows or cares much, but after a recent cyclone hit the upper part of australia, they've been experiencing mass flooding all over the place in queensland.

Friend of mine lives in rockhampton, which is starting to get it's fair share.

Emerald and another town got nailed pretty hardcore. They say this is record flooding levels there.



Problem is, things won't likely go down for them until tue or wed, THEIR time, which should be mon/tue for most of us in USA.

I keep checking maps of rockhampton to see how bad it is. Fortunately, most of the houses there are built on stilts to begin with, and if it gets really bad, they have mountains within a short walking distance.|||well... Australia is just going from bad to worse in some areas.

|||Hmm. That makes me feel a bit silly for whining about being snowed in.|||TY fro the news, I like to hear about what's happening in the world.

I don't know for sure, but I'd think Australia has the resources to take care of it, right? I mean, a disaster is bad anywhere it hits, but poor countries tend to need help much more...

Or do I need an update on Australia conditions?|||Quote:






View Post



Or do I need an update on Australia conditions?




Just for comparison: The area flooded in Australia is a big as France & Germany together.



PS: We have floods here in Germany too right now. The Main river is about three times as wide as normal where I have to cross it each morning and many towns and villages along the river battle the floods. But of course that is nothing compared to the problems in Australia.|||Good thing Australia is bigger than those two countries together!

Any major city hit? I would imagine so, but Australia afaik has a lot of low-population areas.|||Well it sounds like life isn't so great...



Down under.



Seriously, though, the flooding sounds pretty crazy. I hope they're able to hold on until water levels recede.|||Quote:






View Post

Good thing Australia is bigger than those two countries together!

Any major city hit? I would imagine so, but Australia afaik has a lot of low-population areas.




Rockhampton is completely flooded as far as I know. Wikipedia says that city has 61.000 inhabitants.

And I think the floods have reached Brisbane, which has 2 mio people.



The red areas are the ones with "severe problems" but large areas in Queensland (as I have posted before for comparison) have local floods as well. BTW in the lower left corner, that's Germany



Brisbane today|||Wow, time to send over some aid...|||Quote:






View Post

Brisbane today




Looks like good material for a movie poster. That's some insane flooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment