Thursday, April 19, 2012

Official Archery Thread

Yes, there's been talk of one, and now there is one.

This is a thread about bows, crossbows, arrows, shooting techniques, etc... in RL.

----

I am currently seriously looking for a bow. I went to the bow shop last friday and found a nice recurve (for a beginner like me) for 180$ + arrows. I've also potentially found 2-3 places where I can practice, so I'm hyped. I just need to finalize some plans, and I'll go off and buy that...

The shop owner had a target to practice on in his shop... shooting distance 6m. He said he had a target in his apartment (back when) and gave me advice on how to set that up safely. I'm considering that as well.

I'll post more later...|||Been looking for something like that for a while. Lack of money and time have prevented me from getting one...|||Same here. It's a shame, because I have the perfect back yard for it, too.|||I used to be in the local Archers club when I was little... must have been 8-10 years old...

I can't recall why I stopped again, but on reflection, it was really fun. I'd love to give it a go again.|||Honestly, I'm not that into sports, but I wouldn't mind testing out my luck with a bow. And yes, I'd want it to be as close to a Guild Wars bow as possible, so no crossbow. Cosplay! rofl Just kidding! But yeah, seriously, I'd like to try out a bow but I don't have the money to buy one and there is no archery range anywhere close to where I'm at. So I think I'm out of luck for the time being. |||The boyfriend of a fellow teacher is very good at archery (competing in stae wide tournaments). I don't know how that discipline is called, but it's the one where you go around "in the wild" and shoot at life size "animal targets".

I have limited time right now, so I haven't asked him if I can join some day for fun. I also have an old injury to the sinews of my index finger, so pulling the string might snap them out of their sockets. I don't really want to risk that and pulling with those "helper devices" isn't true archery.|||Quote:






View Post

The boyfriend of a fellow teacher is very good at archery (competing in stae wide tournaments). I don't know how that discipline is called, but it's the one where you go around "in the wild" and shoot at life size "animal targets".




That's called 3D shooting (around here it is anyway) I did a for-fun event of that a while ago.



Spoiler








Spoiler








Spoiler








Spoiler








Spoiler






A pic of my bow: (got it last week :D) (it's not the same as for 3d shooting)



Spoiler


|||I go shooting with friends at least once a month every summer. There's a place not far from here that has a fifty target 3D course set up in a good sized forested area; takes about 2 hours to get through the whole thing. It's great fun.

Alaris, one suggestion- if you haven't already done so, invest in a good armguard. Having the bowstring rake your forearm is rather unpleasant, to say the least.|||Offcourse, not wearing an armguard is the best way to learn NOT to hit your arm. I never use(d) an armguard. (offcourse it depends on the pondage of the bow)|||Quote:






View Post

Honestly, I'm not that into sports, but I wouldn't mind testing out my luck with a bow.




The best place to start is finding an archery club. Some universities or schools offer archery classes or free-shot times (and sometimes outsiders can take them)... the nice thing about it is that they usually offer bows you can use.

Find out if you like it enough to invest in a bow.

3-piece recurve bows are probably cheapest these days. That is, you attach each branch to the middle part. (I don't know the term). I sympathize with having a cosplay bow, I would probably not get a compound unless it was cheaper than a recurve (or much better at the same price). But 1-piece recurves, as well as shortbow and longbow, are more expensive.


Quote:






View Post

I don't really want to risk that and pulling with those "helper devices" isn't true archery.




True archery is in the aim and the focus.

If you go to a specialized archery shop, they might be able to suggest different ways of holding the string, or a very non-invasive helper device that you could use...


Quote:






View Post

That's called 3D shooting




Sounds fun. I wouldn't shoot animals, but I'd love to try 3D shooting (when I get better).

No comments:

Post a Comment