Saturday, April 21, 2012

More like Perfect Failure International amirite lolol

Quote:








Please feel free to continue discussing the latest tangent in the Off-topic forum.




Okay then!

So what is it that makes Perfect World International just so damned bad compared to other similar games, anyway? Let's just completely disregard Guild Wars here, because it's not remotely similar to PWI in any way. Compared to Warcraft, compared to Aion (which is bad in itself), compared to EQ, etc etc.

For me personally, it was the immense boring quests, along with the atrocious English translation. Every single quest that I tried right up to the point where I gained the ability to turn into a fox or some **** like that, was an honest-to-fsm clone of the "kill x of y" variety.

Now people ***** about Warcraft having quests like that, but that's only because Warcraft doesn't hide its grind. It clearly states, 'you have to do this, and you have to do it 6 times' however "this" isn't necessarily going out and killing murlocs for their heads. It may be picking up apples, blowing up scourge teleporters, tossing human disguises onto acolytes so that gargoyles pick them up and toss them off a cliff, lifting up the tails of tranquilized bears to find out if they're male or female, jumping on a mammoth and trampling trolls, and so on and so on. The list could go on for ages, but the short of the long is that Warcraft has thousands of interesting varieties on the kill x of y type quests.

PWI? Walk out to where the monsters are. Kill 10 of them. Turn in quest, go back out and kill 25 more. Turn in quest, go back out and kill 50 more. Turn in quest, log out of the game, uninstall. Sounds like a real recipe for success!

OH BUT WAIT, YOU CAN FLY!

That's nice. So can I.|||MMOs are tantamount to virtual stamp collecting regardless.

/trololol even though it's true.|||Not even. At least with a stamp collection, you won't lose it when you don't pay a monthly fee. Nor do you have to worry about the post office closing up and sending people to take back your stamps by force. (Which is the closest analogy I can think of to MMO servers shutting down.)

And those stamp collectors will be able to show their collection to their grandchildren.

Us? "Now kids, this is called a laptop, and back when I was your age we used to play video games on them." "Wow Pops, you mean games weren't controlled with your mind back then?" "No Billy, we had to use this thing here called a mouse!"

("A mouse? But it doesn't have a tail!")|||Quote:






View Post

("A mouse? But it doesn't have a tail!")




"Back in the day they did have one."

"So you fondled a mouse with your hand. Gross!"|||MMOs are definitely a waste of time, but people usually need to find that out for themselves. If I'd told my high school self that leveling up in Asheron's Call was a waste of time, it would've fallen on deaf ears. Besides, I had a sweet suit of matching armor in a rare color. I'll care about that in ten years, right?|||Gotta agree on the Kill everything and do it again.

Quit somewhere around lvl 30 on my Venomancer due it.

The huge lag in town wasn't fun either.

Least I logged in during the Anniversary and got a free mount.|||Brb, gonna grab my "Why PWI is bad" notes:

1 - It has an unbalanced cash shop. It sells exp potions, mounts, stat-changing items, health and mana charms (the equivalent of health and mana potions, but reusable, automatic and instant refill. GG.), etc.

2 - PWE legally allowed Real World Trading. You can buy a bunch of Diamonds for RL cash, and then sell it in the auction house for absurds ammounts of gold.

3 - It's the worst piece of grind I've ever had the sorrow of play. As shawn and others said, the quests are boring and lack originality. The dungeons are nothing more then the usual grind, but against tougher monsters. You level a seperate resource to spend on skills, called Spirit. This makes it that even though you unlocked with your level a given skill, you most likely don't have the spirit to spend on it.

4 - It has PK allowed after level 30. Oh, and duels too. That's sooooo interesting. The other form of PvP, the fight to control territories, requires millions of gold to be paid for a bidding chance to enter the fight, making only the richest guilds in the game having a monopoly on that form of PvP.

5 - The crafting is horrible. I spent 1 entire day searching for materials to craft a single potion. I wasn't able to do it. And this was at level 1 Apothecary.

6 - Balance is non-existent. Venomancers are the best at solo-ing. Priests suck at it but are required for group content so they are pretty much forced to group all the time. And don't get me started on PvP balance and the absolute dominance of casters over everything else.

----------------

I don't understand how someone could defend so vigorously such a game, and even making statements like "PWI has better PvE then WoW" and keep a straight face.

Oh, and I reached level 30, just enough for my first dungeon experience. I unistalled the next day I explored it.|||Quote:




So can I.




Woah! I bet that cost $100 in the in-game store, amirite?|||Quote:






View Post

OH BUT WAIT, YOU CAN FLY!




I bet I can fly to (with pharmaceutical help) cheaper then I could (including the time required to get the goodies) in RL then in PW.

|||Quote:






View Post

Woah! I bet that cost $100 in the in-game store, amirite?




...what in-game store?

No comments:

Post a Comment