Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gotta find more cowbell.

Woke up this morning with one of the oddest thoughts in my head.

Part of it I guess is I still had 'Jane Jane Jane' running through my head from listening to it on the radio a couple days ago, but I remember listening intently to the end part of the song, and trying to discern if they were using cowbell or not. It didn't sound like it. It did sound like the drummer was rapping on metal now and then that wasn't part of the traditional drum set.

So I got to thinking, what other songs out there use cowbell, even if only at the end part.

First and foremost of course is Blue Oyster Cult's ... ehem... cult favorite, Don't Fear the Reaper. But what else? One that popped into my head was Beck:Long skirt, short Jacket.

Anyone else have ideas?|||When I think drummer and cowbell, I think Courtemanche...

|||Quote:






View Post

So I got to thinking, what other songs out there use cowbell, even if only at the end part.




I think there's a cowbell in the first fifteen seconds of Killing in the Name by RATM.|||Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age. Right from the start.

|||From Wikipedia:

Some popular songs (in which) the cowbell has featured prominently include: "Low Rider" by War "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" by Pink Floyd, "Tall Paul" by Annette Funicello, "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" by LCD Soundsystem, "Electioneering" by Radiohead, "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain, "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister, "Honky Tonk Women" by The Rolling Stones, "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth, "Dance the Night Away" by Van Halen, "I'm a Man" by Chicago, "We're An American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad, "A Hard Day's Night", "Drive My Car" & Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey by The Beatles, "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" by Dead or Alive, "Never As Good As The First Time" by Sade, "Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard, and "Good Times, Bad Times" by Led Zeppelin. Rage Against The Machine utilized the cowbell in many songs, such as, "Township Rebellion", "Freedom", and "Killing in the Name". Guns N' Roses have often used the cowbell, notably in "Nightrain", "Welcome to the Jungle" and "It's So Easy". Similarly, Queen used a cowbell in such songs as "Liar","Who Needs You", and "Dragon Attack". The B52s use a cowbell in many of their songs. A cowbell is featured prominently in "Teach Me How to Dougie" by Cali Swag District.|||http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrslkB1pG8



Also other songs of 'de staat'.|||someone say cowbell?|||The Only Prescription|||DEVO - Watch Us Work it. They even labeled it for you in the video:



Video is actually an extension of a Dell commercial that used the song, with product placements removed.

-T|||You ain't heard cowbell till you heard "Luk Thung".



That's typical of everyday music around here.

-Art

No comments:

Post a Comment