Saturday, April 14, 2012

Firefox 4

[:1]Anyone using it yet? I've upgraded to it; I'm quite sure it's definitely faster, but they felt like moving the menus all over the place instead of having them nicely lined up on top where I was accustomed to them. There's probably a way, that I haven't stumbled upon yet, to return it to classic view.

My kids all tell me I'm old school for using FF instead of Chrome.|||I've been using the beta version for quite a while already. I also use Chrome a lot, and would say both are great, fast browsers. I use Chrome more often though since I got used to it now.|||







|||Duh, when I right-click on the top menu area, there's an option for the top menu bar which restores it.

I'm not bothering with Chrome unless there comes a reason to stop using FF. This new version is really quite a bit faster than the old one--web pages just pop up and don't seem to fill in or hesitate at all.|||I switched out of Chrome because I had a bunch of compatibility issues, even with other Google products (lolwut). Chrome is fine and all, but the only thing I REALLY liked about it was that it had more viewing space. Firefox 4 addressed that issue. After using Chrome for about a year or so, I noticed it started to move REALLY slow; the startup took entirely too long. Lots of crashes, lot of things in Facebook weren't working, couldn't get into work systems. It's probably all fixed now, but I'm not going to keep bouncing between browsers. I DO use Chrome on my Macbook and it's fine.

Firefox 4 is pretty great. I don't like that they moved the "Home" button, and a bunch of my add-ons don't work anymore, but, otherwise, I love it.

Firegestures alone is worth it.|||Likes:

- Faster

- Tabs animation/aesthetics

- Overall look

Gripes:

- I don't mind that they combined the refresh/cancel button, but its placement is annoying

- Some of my plugins, like e-mail, still haven't updated (part of why I haven't switched to Chrome already)

I haven't done more than casual use with it, though. So, I can't speak to some of the new functionality.



Spoiler


Every time I see a Smart Car, I must resist the urge to kick it over.|||I love it. I was never a Chrome fan, but now I've dumped my beloved Opera once again for FF (until FF gets fat and slow again). You can pretty much tweak and alter everything through the about:config page and the userChrome.css file (which I've been doing for days now). It might not be as fast as Chrome but it's pretty close and has none of the annoyances that chrome has.

The only thing I'm missing is my copy-as-plain-text add on. So if anybody knows where to find something similar... let me know.


Quote:






View Post

- I don't mind that they combined the refresh/cancel button, but its placement is annoying




You can move them by clicking the navigation bar and choosing Customize.|||Oh, actually, one thing I miss about Chrome is search in the address bar. That was sweet....

FF4 added "Paste & Go" though. And if you highlight a URL on a page and right click it, they added "Open in New Tab" and "Open in New Window" options, so you don't even have to paste it into the address bar. Mmmm......|||I'll probably never be able to leave Firefox, add-ons like Firebug, Brief and Adblock are just too great.

Really glad 4 is finally here, 3.6 was getting frustratingly sluggish. Hopefully they'll be able to keep up better with Chrome now, with the new update schedule.|||I've installed it, and put the menus on top. And then installed a certain add-on so I have a status bar again...

And I've installed chrome. It slows my virtual machine to a crawl...

No comments:

Post a Comment